Director of Business Operations
Chesterfield Day School seeks an administrative leader with a strategic orientation and a finance, accounting or operations background. The Director of Business Operations will be a key advisor to our Head and Board of Trustees. We are seeking a leader who would like to apply their strong business acumen to do truly meaningful operational and strategic work that advances the education of children.
This position will offer the right candidate real work/life balance, combined with meaningful work and the manager will have a strong and supportive mentor in our Head of School. In addition to salary and other benefits, our academically competitive school (ages 18 months-6th grade) also offers a generous tuition remission benefit for the children of our employees.
Chesterfield Day School, is an independent school located near the intersection of Hwy 40/64 and 141 The School’s mission is to provide a personalized education of unparalleled excellence to students of diverse backgrounds from the age of 18 months through 6th grade.
The Director of Business Operations works on planning and overseeing the current and future financial position of the school, legal and human resource issues, current and future facilities, equipment and technology needs and all other business and operations matters of Chesterfield Day School. The Director of Business Operations is directly responsible for the financial records of the school and supervises the facilities, human resources, and technology functions of the school. The Director of Business Operations also supervises the employees or contracted employees that are involved in the school’s facilities/maintenance, cleaning, and dining room/food-service operation. Additionally, the Director of Business Operations may serve as the administrative liaison to the Finance and Buildings and Grounds Committees of the Board of Trustees. Salary will be reflective of the responsibilities associated with the position as well as the ideal candidate’s related experience. Chesterfield Day School provides a comprehensive benefit package including partial-tuition remission (65% tuition remission per child of a FTE) at the School.
Major Position Responsibilities
Accounts payable and receivable
- Tuition billing and collections
- Review and approve check requests and payments in accordance with policies
- With Head of School, develop the School’s annual operating budget
- With Head of School, develop tuition fee schedule recommendations
- Oversee all school purchasing, financial investments, banking activities, payroll and benefits program.
Facilities management and construction management
- Supervise the facilities/maintenance staff
- Ensure the effective management of the food-service operation and any other auxiliary enterprises of the school
- Develop facility forecast needs
- Implement a B&G Master Plan via management of construction projects and contracts
- Approve bids and contracts for facilities and equipment in accordance with purchasing policies
- Directly supervise the cleaning staff through the contractual services firm
- Review and approve all work orders, and review the schedules of the maintenance staff
- Follow-up on all outstanding facility repairs and renovation projects
- Prepare and present the School’s financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) to the Board of Trustees at each Board Meeting
- Review and determine that Board adopted policies are followed
- Review and ascertain that monthly financial statements are reasonable and that transactions are accurately reported
- Provide a monthly operating statement for the Head of School
- Provide a monthly report of expenditures for use of each individual budget center within the school.
- Coordinate annual audit of the school’s financial records and financial positions.
- Supervise the work of the business office staff and use standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures, to keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and manage the financial operation of the school so that the institution remains financially stable.
Human Resources and Compensation
- Assist the Head of School with decisions regarding salaries and benefits for all personnel.
- Ensure that all tax forms are completed and filed in a timely manner
- Assist the head with evaluation procedures and records
- Act as liaison with technology network administration consulting company
- Ensure adequate resources are allocated for technology
- Assist the head with developing and implementing a technology roadmap
- A minimum of five years of management and accounting experience; minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or related area.
- Knowledge of or willingness/aptitude to learn quickly:
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and mathematical skills
- Contract negotiations
- Project management
- Processing of invoices
- Computer applications including Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and Quick Books
- A willingness to ask questions and help implement ideas that will increase efficiency
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and outside contacts
- A commitment to Chesterfield Day School, its mission and its community.
- A belief that the Director of Business Operations position is a customer-oriented responsibility and a strong commitment to the actions that will ensure that each person interacting with the Business Office is highly satisfied by his/her interaction.
- A high level of integrity, warmth, confidence and composure; a positive outlook; a strong work ethic; and the ability to multi task
- An ability to work well with a team and establish productive working relationships with faculty.
Send cover letter to Rachana Creeth, Head of School, and resume with references to email@example.com.