Fourth Through Sixth Grade Math Teacher
Chesterfield Day School seeks an educator to join the faculty for the 2015-2016 school year as a full-time Math teacher.
Chesterfield Day School offers an exceptional personalized learning environment. Through meaningful work, Chesterfield Day School students develop fundamental skills, think creatively and critically, identify and solve complex problems of the world, express themselves to the community, and grow in character.
Our engaging and rigorous approach to preparing students is implemented by a collaborative team of 3 teachers in the 4-6 grades. CDS offers a student-teacher ratio of no more than 12:1 in order to allow the faculty to be truly personalized in their approach.
We seek an energetic and intelligent math teacher with a sound understanding of best practices in the teaching and working with this age group of children. This position is designed for a teacher who values curriculum design and implementing a personalized and engaging curriculum. Working with a team of teachers and our Director of Academics and Student Services, this teacher will use best practices to design his/her classroom environment and program to create a program that allows for creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration. The program will be authentic and meaningful and build character in our students.
Chesterfield Day School math students have a rich history of achieving results that outperform our independent school peers on standardized assessments.
Chesterfield Day School has strong commitment to fundamental academic skills while also enhancing and enriching our curriculum while creating opportunities for students not found elsewhere (e.g.: Inquiry Based Learning, Passion Driven Education, Design Thinking, Web 2.0 Tools, Project Based Learning, Service Learning, and more).
Specific responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Design interdisciplinary Math units
- Deliver a personalized learning experience
- Take part in and deliver our overnight Outdoor Education experience for 5th and 6th Grades, respectively, in the fall
- Direct students through an advisory course to develop character, teamwork, and other life skills
The ideal candidate will:
- Enjoy spending time with 10-12 year olds
- Be flexible, visionary and hard-working
- Have a deep interest in Math and a vision for how the subject matter can be taught in combination to develop critical thinking and analytic reasoning along with fundamental skill mastery
- Have strong communication skills with parents and children
- Demonstrate understanding of the educational and social development of children in this age-group
- Exhibit a passion for developing, implementing and improving curricula that is informed by best practice and experience
- Understand and embrace the role of “customer service" in an independent school
- Have knowledge or experience working with Singapore Math.
Chesterfield Day School offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including tuition remission up to 65% for qualified students.
Send cover letter and resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org Please use the following subject line “Math Teacher" and address all communications to Jeff Horwitz, Director of Academics and Student Services.